Why Teach With the Web?
• The learning resources found on the Web augment/supplement
textbooks and other learning resources in the classroom, which, in
Philippine public high schools, are usually limited in number.
• The learning resources on the Web tend to be more up-to-date than many
textbooks, providing both teachers and learners with information on
current applications of various concepts introduced in the learning
• The multimedia and hypermedia character of the Web is engaging for
learners. “Multimedia is a communication format that integrates several
media—text, audio. video, and animation—most commonly implemented with a
computer.” (Grabe and Grabe, 2001, p. 245). “Hypermedia allows
multimedia to be experienced in a non-linear fashion. In this format,
units of information, such as individual words, segments of text,
...audio, pictures, animations, and video clips are connected to each
other in multiple ways,” allowing the user to interact with these units
of information by clicking on them in any sequence he/she prefers. Hence
the use of the term “interactive” to refer to hypermedia environments.
(Grabe and Grabe, 2001, pp. 245-246)
• What’s in the Collection
• Why Online Treasure Hunts and WebQuests?
• How to Make the Most of Online Treasure Hunts and WebQuests